Monday, September 21, 2009

Open Adoption: Ron and Jessica

Posted by Brittany of Que & Brittany's Adoption Journal





If you asked me two years ago if I thought I'd ever invite our baby's birthmother over to our house, I probably would have told you, "Um, I don't think so."

Well, we've had a long time to think about openness. We've met a lot of people with very open adoptions and our hearts have softened toward openness 100%.

Now that we have little ZJ, and we've met his wonderful birthmother and her family, there is no way I could tell them, "Thanks for the baby" and never see them again.

I like to think of our adoption like a marriage; a marriage of our families. We won't see each other all the time, but we do want to keep contact and we want to get together once in a while. Sure it takes effort, but everything worth while in this world takes effort. And there are many rewards for us, too.

Here's what ZJs's birthmother wrote to us in a card this week:

"Ron & Jessica,
I just wanted to say thank you for inviting me and my family for dinner! I am so lucky to have found people like you to take care of and be parents to ZJ. I truly believe God played a part in it and I thank Him for that."

*****

~If you are an adoptive parent, a birth parent or are adopted, have an open adoption and would like to contribute to a future post, please email me at queandbrittany@yahoo.com.

No comments:

An Open Adoption Documentary

Adoption Isn't Selfish

Straight from a Birthmom...

The Open Adoption Project via The R House