Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Meeting my birthfamily

Hi everyone, this is Elise. I'm in Aurora, CO blogging on my aunt's computer (who I just met for the first time yesterday!). It has been a wonderful visit so far in fact we even decided to stay an extra night. Yesterday when we arrived, we saw my birthfather who I haven't seen in about 6 years and then I met two of my aunts, an uncle and four cousins that I have never met (well not that I remember). It has been so great getting to know them and I always wondered what things I had in common with all of them that I never knew. My mom remarried when I was 3 and I didn't grow up really having a relationship with my birthfather or his family so now as an adult I am working on building one. When Josh and I started the adoption process I was unsure about open adoption and how birthparents and other relatives involvement in our child's life would be. But now I am seeing it from a totally different perspective, as an adopted child (my stepdad who I grew up with adopted me when I was 10). Meeting this side of my family has shown me that birthparents and their families can really be just an extension of the family that I have always known. They love me and accept me just like the aunts, uncles and cousins that I grew up around. It is awesome! Anyway, I want to get back to visiting with them so I will give you a more detailed rundown with pictures next week. Open adoption is a huge blessing in my life! :)

No comments:

An Open Adoption Documentary

Adoption Isn't Selfish

Straight from a Birthmom...

The Open Adoption Project via The R House