Thursday, August 25, 2011

How FSA is Saving My Sanity


Hi, my name is Sally, and I’ll be taking the Thursday spot.  My husband, Brigham, and I adopted our daughter, Olivia, four years ago.  You can read about that here.  We’ve just been approved to adopt again and are anxiously working toward finding our next miracle.

I recently became involved in my local FSA chapter.  My advice to hopeful adoptive couples is to be an active part of FSA.  If there’s a chapter near you, join.  If there isn’t, start one.  I wish we had known the first time around what FSA was all about.  We didn’t receive any information or encouragement from our case worker.  In all fairness, both adoption workers in that office were new to the area and to adoptions.  And we didn’t wait all that long for Olivia to join our family.  So we got our baby and moved on.

When we started the adoption process, we didn’t have any idea what to expect.  And we had no idea how blessed we were to have things turn out like they did.  It would have been nice to associate with others who were in the same position and still others who were better educated and had experienced an adoption.

The FSA chapter here has an adoptive moms’ group.  We (I can say “we” because I’ve been twice now) get together once a month for dinner and adoption talk.  I would have poked my eyes out for that last time around.  (Okay, so maybe that’s a bit dramatic.  And it wouldn’t have served any purpose, anyway.)  Sure, our families and friends were 100% supportive, but it just isn’t the same as having a support network of others who have been there, who are there.  It’s like free therapy!  I’ve already learned so much from the other women in the group.  As a result of our conversations, I’ve done more research (not about baby gear this time) and feel much more comfortable educating those around me about adoption as I am educating myself.  We are definitely going to be more proactive this time around!

So there’s my plug for FSA, and they didn’t even bribe me to do it. 

If there are topics you’d like to have addressed, please leave a comment.

And if you’d like to know more about my family, check out our blog: http://www.brighamoliviasally.blogspot.com/

No comments:

An Open Adoption Documentary

Adoption Isn't Selfish

Straight from a Birthmom...

The Open Adoption Project via The R House